Grin Technologies Ltd. is a small Canadian engineering company based in Vancouver that is dedicated to advancing the state of after-market electric bicycle conversion kits. We take pride in designing and making clever electric bike parts and accessories that are universal in nature and not locked to proprietary standards. Originally incorporated in November 2005 as two companies "The Renaissance Bicycle Company" and "Petro Can't Ebike Accessories", we merged operations and changed names in 2010 to Grin in order to better reflect our wide scope of EV activities.
About the ebikes.ca website:
Our current website www.ebikes.ca was registered in 2004 with a mission of becoming a dedicated resource site for the then very nascent North American DIY ebike movement. It has served as a homepage for the UBC electric bike club, a host for online tools such as the ebike simulator, a blog site, and since 2007 as an online shop for electric bicycle conversion gear, with longstanding involvement with the Crystalyte and eZee product lines, plus of course all of our Grin Tech products.
For a nice overview of ongoing and future operations, have a look at the long format video interview and shop tour that Court of electricbikereview.comfilmed while stopping by late this summer:
What we do:
Here at Grin, we're deeply involved in many aspects of the electric bicycle movement.
- We design and manufacture unique electric bicycle hardware under our own GRIN brand (Cycle Analyst, Ebike lights, DC-DC converters, Torque Arms, Battery Rails, the Satiator etc.)
- We retail parts directly to DIY ebike enthusiasts via the website www.ebikes.ca and in person at our physical store
- We distribute electric bike conversion kits to other dealers and tech savvy bicycle shops
- We provide parts to OEM companies manufacturing complete high performance or unique electric vehicles
- We provide a ton of tech support and consulting to other early stage companies doing stuff we find interesting
- We run a comprehensive research and development lab for understanding and enhancing the performance and reliability of electric bicycle components
- We organize and participate in community events that promote awareness of electric bicycles as a viable and fascinating transportation option for the 21st century
- We maintain (in a very hands-off way) the freewheeling ebike forum endless-sphere.com
What we don't quite do:
We have our hands pretty full with everything listed above, and there are a few services we don't provide.
- With few exceptions, we do not sell complete electric bikes, only conversion kits and hardware for retrofit builds. These days there are many options for complete pre-built electric bicycles of good quality which is great, but that is not our business
- We do not install kits for people, we supply to those who are comfortable getting their hands dirty and doing their own installation work
- We don't generally do service and troubleshooting work on 3rd party ebikes. Though we have all the expertise to troubleshoot and fix most things and would love to help people, we do not have the time to take this on. However, we can often point people in the right direction for fixing stuff we did not supply when given a clear description of the symptoms and issues.